Mushroom poisoning

With the change of seasons, mushrooms are becoming more common. Mushrooms can be very toxic to pets depending on the species. Dogs are more likely than cats to ingest mushrooms.

Mushroom ingestion can cause a range of symptoms depending on the species and toxin involved. Whilst many mushroom ingestions result in either no symptoms or some vomiting and diarrhoea, some mushroom ingestions such as the Death Cap (Amanita phalloides) can be life-threatening even with small amounts.

Nothing beats keeping a close eye on your pet when walking them and where possible remove any mushrooms from your yard before your pet has a chance to eat or play with them.

If your pet has ingested a wild mushroom, contact the clinic for advice.

Leave a Comment